Um Safia's Note:
This is a delicious pate made from two kinds of smoked salmon - both regular smoked & golden roast smoked salmon as well as smoked mackerel. It is really best if you make it the day before so that you can chill it properly & the flavours can meld nicely. Time to make doesn't include chilling time...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g smoked salmon, slices (good quality)
- 300 g smoked salmon, slices (golden roast)
- 250 g smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 150 g butter, softened
- 300 g full fat soft cheese (a creamy type is best)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 unwaxed lemon, grated zest & juice of
- 2 teaspoons creamed horseradish
- 10 slices toasted whole wheat bread, cut into triangles (or toasted melba)
- 1 lemon, cut into thin wedges
- mixed salad green
- 1Line a 2lb loaf tin with clingfilm. Cover the base & sides of the tin (but not the ends) with the smoked salmon so that the pieces just about overlap.
- 2In a food processor, mix the roast salmon slices, tomato ketchup, dill & half of each of the following: butter, soft cheese, cayenne, lemon zest & lemon juice. Spoon into the tin, level the top & chill. (don't wash out the processor just yet!).
- 3Skin the smoked mackerel & carefully remove any bones with tweezers or your fingers. Whizz in the food processor with the horseradish & the other half of the butter, cream cheese, cayenne, lemon zest & lemon juice. Spoon over the top of the salmon pate & level the top. Fold over the overlapping salmon. Cover with clingfil & chill for at least 2 hours (but preferably overnight).
- 4To serve, carefully invert the tin onto a suitable plate & using a sharp knife (clean knife between each slice to get perfect neat slices) cut the pate into 10 slices.
- 5Serve each slice on a plate with a few salad leaves & a slice of toast cut into triangles along with a wedge or two of lemon.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Layered Smoked Salmon & Mackerel Pate
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 58.5 mg
- Sodium 673.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: