hamburgers are so unbelievably good in these homemade buns. When you have some time on your hands, kick back and make these, you won't be sorry. This great recipe has a pedigree...I found it in the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion and they attributite to bakingcircle.com where it was posted by Ellen Dill. Thanks Ellen Dill!
- Combine all the ingredients and mix and knead them together, by hand or by mixer, until you have a soft, smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball; place the buns on greased baking sheets, cover and let rise 30-40 minutes, until they're puffy.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake the buns for 12-15 minutes, until they're golden brown; remove from oven and baking sheet and cool them on a rack.
- Split and use for burgers or sandwiches.
- For burgers, butter the split sides and fry them, buttered side down, until they're golden brown and warmed through.