Recipe by susie.freckle.face
Beautiful bread pudding I had the need to be a kitchen chemist today. And, I soon decided to treat my new roommates to some of my baking and see what would work in the way of delicate and mild comfort food. Since I have a broken leg, I needed the recipe to be easy. The balanced flavor of the wheat bread blended with the dash of pepper in the wet mixture is richly augmented with the melted butter without being overpowered by it. Very subtle but noticeable taste of the sliced apple topping with cinnamon is sooo much better than standard raisin. I dried the bread slices out in a slooow oven in the morning, and put the eggs out to get to room temp. some notes: definitely get your eggs to room temperature. Pre heat your oven, and butter your baking dish before you start because mixing it up goes pretty quickly. The glass baking dish I used is a beautiful 8" round and a solid 3” deep. I bake in glass when possible. more notes: do not bake anything topped with cinnamon hotter than 350 degrees as cinnamon will scorch and taste bad. So check your oven temperature with a thermometer.... and as usual go wash your hands! ;o)
- 9 slices whole wheat bread, air dried overnight
- 3 eggs, room temp slightly beaten
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Red Delicious apple
- 1 teaspoon butter, chopped into pea size pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- in a mixing bowl stir together the eggs, soy milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- continue stirring while drizzling in the melted butter and set aside.
- largely cube the dried bread slices and put them into the bowl turning to coat evenly and set aside to soak.
- pour any remaining tiny bread crumbs and bread dust into the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- core and slice the apple into aprox 24 1/8” thin slices and set aside for topping leaving the skin on for beauty.
- pour half the bread pudding into the baking dish.
- sprinkle half the powdered sugar on top.
- pour the remaining half of the bread pudding into the baking dish.
- sprinkle the remaining powdered sugar on top.
- arrange the apple slices in your choice of a beautifully decorative pattern covering the pudding completely.
- sprinkle on a dash of salt.
- sprinkle on a very tiny dash of pepper.
- sprinkle on cinnamon to taste.
- dot with the small pea size pieces of butter.
- bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 – 35 minutes.