1/1 Photo of Beautiful Borscht Salmon
Deb's Recipes's Note:
Plate up a palette of pretty colours. Rich orange grilled salmon, raspberry red borscht sauce, bright white crème fraiche, deep green dill sprigs. A dish that will delight your taste buds as well as your eyes. Lovely served with fresh steamed haricots verts and lemon rice. The recipe makes 8 servings. But do not worry if you are cooking for 2 or 4. Any unused borscht sauce is easily thinned to soup consistency and very flavourful the next day. Enjoy your borscht again hot or as a beautiful cold summer soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 firm ripe beet (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup napa cabbage, chopped (packed)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1Step 1 is good to do in advance. Place beet in a pot of boiling water and cook uncovered 15 minutes until semi-tender; remove from heat, cover pot, and allow beet to steam another 15 minutes; remove beet from hot water with slotted spoon; once cool, peel and dice beet.
- 2Steps 2 and 3 may also be done in advance. Saute aromatic shallots, carrot, and celery in olive oil until semi-tender; stir in cabbage and garlic; add diced beet, broth, bay leaf, and peppercorns; adjust heat, cover pot and gently simmer for one half hour until vegetables are tender.
- 3Remove from heat; discard bay leaf and peppercorns; add salt, dill, and red wine vinegar; puree sauce in blender or food processor until smooth; stir in crème fraiche; taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Borscht sauce may be served hot or cold; keep heated in saucepan until serving time; or chill sauce in refrigerator.
- 4While borscht sauce is cooking, rub salmon fillets on both sides with olive oil; sprinkle salmon with garlic salt and pepper; grill fillets 4-5 minutes per side until done. To serve, plate each salmon fillet, then top with 1/4 cup (hot or cold) borscht sauce, additional crème fraiche, and sprigs of fresh dill. A beautiful presentation your dinner guests will not soon forget!
- 5This recipe makes just over 2 cups borscht sauce. Canned broth may be used to thin any unused sauce to preferred soup consistency. Stir in broth and reheat, or enjoy a cold summer soup. Very delicious the next day!
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Borscht Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.1
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 153.9 mg
- Sodium 425.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 66.1 g