Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I made years ago from a vegetarian cookbook. It not only tastes great with a slight sweetness from the beets, it also has a beautiful color. The recipe calls for dried chickpeas, but there's no reason you can't use canned ones, though remember you would need a lot more than 8 oz if they're already cooked--!
- 226.79 g dried garbanzo beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 453.59 g beetroot
- 118.29 ml tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- Soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook for 1 hour or until they are very soft. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Allow to cool.
- Cook the beetroot in a large pan of boiling water until tender. Drain and allow to cool slightly before removing skins (Alternately, you could peel them prior to steaming).
- Chop the beetroot and place in a food processor, in batches if necessary. Add the chickpea and onion mixture, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and cumin; process until smooth.
- Slowly add reserved cooking liquid and olive oil while the machine is running. Process until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with crackers, bread, veggies, etc -- .