Recipe by Callu
This risotto is a gorgeous deep rich pink color when finished. It is also incredibly nutritious and wonderfully delicious. It is just all around wonderful. Don't be afraid of the risotto either. It requires a lot of stirring but is easier than you might think!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large red beets, peeled and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 bunch beet leaf, with stems chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or more)
- cayenne, sauce to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper
- crumbled blue cheese, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium pot, warm the broth over medium heat.
- In a large skillet or heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- Stir in the rice to coat with the oil, toast for 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Lower heat to medium-medium low.
- Begin adding broth about a cup at a time, stirring constantly with each addition. When liquid is absorbed add next cup of broth and repeat until the rice is cooked. It takes about 20-25 minutes start to finish.
- About 5 minutes into the 20-25 minute cooking process add the diced beets, beet stems and celery. You can add to the onion mixture earlier in the cooking process if you prefer soft veggies, but I like the texture that happens when they are a little more al dente.
- About 15 minutes into the 20-25 minute cooking process add the beet greens to the mixture.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Taste and add salt, pepper and cayenne sauce to your liking.
- Continue cooking until rice is tender. It will be creamy and delicious. It should not be runny and the rice should not be overcooked to the point of becoming mush.
- Garnish with blue cheese if you so desire. Serve immediately. It is wonderful next to white fleshed fish, grilled chicken or meat.