This risotto is a gorgeous deep rich pink color when finished. It is also incredibly nutritious and wonderfully delicious. It is just all around wonderful. Don't be afraid of the risotto either. It requires a lot of stirring but is easier than you might think!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large red beets, peeled and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 bunch beet leaf, with stems chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or more)
- cayenne, sauce to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper
- crumbled blue cheese, garnish (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2In a medium pot, warm the broth over medium heat.
- 3In a large skillet or heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- 4Stir in the rice to coat with the oil, toast for 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- 5Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- 6Lower heat to medium-medium low.
- 7Begin adding broth about a cup at a time, stirring constantly with each addition. When liquid is absorbed add next cup of broth and repeat until the rice is cooked. It takes about 20-25 minutes start to finish.
- 8About 5 minutes into the 20-25 minute cooking process add the diced beets, beet stems and celery. You can add to the onion mixture earlier in the cooking process if you prefer soft veggies, but I like the texture that happens when they are a little more al dente.
- 9About 15 minutes into the 20-25 minute cooking process add the beet greens to the mixture.
- 10Stir in vinegar.
- 11Taste and add salt, pepper and cayenne sauce to your liking.
- 12Continue cooking until rice is tender. It will be creamy and delicious. It should not be runny and the rice should not be overcooked to the point of becoming mush.
- 13Garnish with blue cheese if you so desire. Serve immediately. It is wonderful next to white fleshed fish, grilled chicken or meat.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Beet Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.2
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1186.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar