Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe for a delicious, no-mess, no-fuss, no-yeast beer bread comes from Labatts, and is great with soup and/or salad.
- 1 (341 ml) bottle beer (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
- Pour beer into bowl; let stand.
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over med heat, shaking pan gently, until fragrant and golden.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, mustard and 1 cup cheese.
- Pour into beer; stir just to combine.
- Spread into greased 8x4 loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for about 40-45 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
Sorry, S'kat about the recipe not working out for you!! I tried this myself recently and actually I was'nt too impressed with it either. So maybe I should add a "Try at your own risk" clause to this recipe.
My husband and I decided to have chili last night, and I whipped this up at the last moment so we could have some bread to dunk into it. It smelled wonderful while baking, but when we tried it out... it had a plain taste initially, but the immediate aftertaste was extremely bitter. In fact, the bitter aftertaste continued to develop. I went ahead and dunked a piece in my chili. It somewhat covered up the taste, but the bitterness was still quite discernible. Sorry, but I don't think I will make this again.