From Johnsonville, but you could sub turkey or vegetarian Italian sausage, too, I imagine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 19 ounces Italian sausage
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen garlic bread, thawed and cut into 12 slices
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 whole basil leaves
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into 12 slices
- 1Cook sausage, and slice into coins.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the cooked sausage, pasta, sauce, water, chopped basil, garlic, parmesan and pepper, and toss gently.
- 3Spread into a greased 9x13 pan.
- 4Place the 12 slices of bread on top of the mixture, and cover the bread with the shredded mozzarella.
- 5Dip tomato slices in olive oil and place on the bread slices.
- 6Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
- 7After removing from oven, carefully place basil leaves slightly under each tomato slice.
- 8Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.9
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 1172.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 21.1 g