Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Johnsonville, but you could sub turkey or vegetarian Italian sausage, too, I imagine.
Make and share this Beautiful Baked Ziti recipe from Food.com.
- 19 ounces Italian sausage
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen garlic bread, thawed and cut into 12 slices
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 12 whole basil leaves
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into 12 slices
- Cook sausage, and slice into coins.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked sausage, pasta, sauce, water, chopped basil, garlic, parmesan and pepper, and toss gently.
- Spread into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Place the 12 slices of bread on top of the mixture, and cover the bread with the shredded mozzarella.
- Dip tomato slices in olive oil and place on the bread slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
- After removing from oven, carefully place basil leaves slightly under each tomato slice.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.