1/6 Photos of Beautiful Bagels - (using bread machine to make the dough)
These are what I would desribe as "best ever bagels". They are crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. I've had this recipe for years - and was passed on to me by another bagel lover. They are especially nice eaten whilst they are still warm, spread with Philadelphia Cream Cheese, thin slices of smoked salmon, a good squeeze of lemon juice and some freshly ground black pepper! They are also very nice for breakfast,toasted and spread with Philadelphia Cream Cheese,and raspberry jam!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place all the above ingredients into bread machine, and select'dough' cycle.
- 2Stop the bread machine 40 minutes after the mixing starts (1 hour and 10 minutes from beginning of dough cycle).
- 3Tip bagel dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead by hand for about 1 minute.
- 4Cut dough into 8 pieces.
- 5Roll and'gently massage' each piece into a snake.
- 6Dampen and overlap the ends pressing firmly to form a ring.
- 7Place each ring on an individual piece of baking paper already lightly sprayed with oil.
- 8Cover all rings with a sheet of baking paper and allow to rest.
- 9Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- 10Carefully lowering each bagel one by one (about 4 at a time) into the pan of boiling water, slide the paper from each bagel ring away.
- 11Gently turn bagels allowing about 40 seconds on each side.
- 12Lift each bagel out and drain on absorbent paper towels.
- 13Place drained bagels on baking baking tray already lined with baking paper.
- 14Brush each bagel with lightly beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle with lots of poppy seeds or toasted sesame seeds.
- 15Bake in hot oven (220'C, Gas mark 7) for about 15 minutes- or until a nice deep golden brown colour.
- 16Remove bagels from oven and place on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Bagels - (using bread machine to make the dough)
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 439.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: