Recipe by Karin...
These are what I would desribe as "best ever bagels". They are crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. I've had this recipe for years - and was passed on to me by another bagel lover. They are especially nice eaten whilst they are still warm, spread with Philadelphia Cream Cheese, thin slices of smoked salmon, a good squeeze of lemon juice and some freshly ground black pepper! They are also very nice for breakfast,toasted and spread with Philadelphia Cream Cheese,and raspberry jam!
Top Review by LeHoff
My husband and my daughter just made these for lunch. They switched the quantity of white flour for whole wheat (so it was 2:1 white/wholewheat flour) and added raisins and cinnamon to half of the dough and they all turned out amazingly!!! Will definitely be making these again and again! Thank you for a great recipe!
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons gluten flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the above ingredients into bread machine, and select'dough' cycle.
- Stop the bread machine 40 minutes after the mixing starts (1 hour and 10 minutes from beginning of dough cycle).
- Tip bagel dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead by hand for about 1 minute.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll and'gently massage' each piece into a snake.
- Dampen and overlap the ends pressing firmly to form a ring.
- Place each ring on an individual piece of baking paper already lightly sprayed with oil.
- Cover all rings with a sheet of baking paper and allow to rest.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Carefully lowering each bagel one by one (about 4 at a time) into the pan of boiling water, slide the paper from each bagel ring away.
- Gently turn bagels allowing about 40 seconds on each side.
- Lift each bagel out and drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Place drained bagels on baking baking tray already lined with baking paper.
- Brush each bagel with lightly beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle with lots of poppy seeds or toasted sesame seeds.
- Bake in hot oven (220'C, Gas mark 7) for about 15 minutes- or until a nice deep golden brown colour.
- Remove bagels from oven and place on wire rack.