Prep1 hr 30 mins
Great for a baby shower or a first birthday! This recipe can be made in half just be sure to use a smaller pan or use a shell pan and watch the cooking time. I made for a shower so I wanted a large cake to feed many. You are welcome to use any ice cream flavor. If you like your frosting you may want to make extra. Think ahead of color scheme and where you want to place which colors. You can simply this recipe by just using a box mix according to it's directions and skip the glazes. I used these glazes to enhance the ice cream flavor.
- 2 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes white cake mix
- 2 pints raspberry-chocolate chip ice cream, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons Chambord raspberry liquor
- 2 bittersweet chocolate squares
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 ounces prepared rolled fondant (Wilton skin color)
Raspberry cream cheese frosting
- 2 (8 ounce) cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces vegetable shortening
- 4 lbs powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 4 tablespoons Chambord raspberry liquor
- 1 pint fresh raspberry
- fresh edible flower (and decorative ducks, teddy bears, baby rattles)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 14 x 2 inch round cake pan with butter the dust with flour, shake out excess.
- With electric mixer, beat 1 box cake mix, and 1/2 melted ice cream, & eggs in a bowl for 3 minutes on medium speed. Scrape into a large measuring bowl. Repeat with the remaining and scrape in the pan with the rest. Be sure not to put more then 10 cups of prepared cake mix.(Unless you have an industrial mixer you can mix all in one step, or if you are cutting the recipe in half one step is all you need).
- Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes (be sure to turn pan for even baking) or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack 20 minutes. Cut 2 small triangle (2 x 3 1/2 x 4 inches this 4 inch side will have a rounded edge) out of cake along side the neck. Take note of picture.
- Save cut pieces for hubby since he won`t be going to the shower.
- Chambord Glaze:.
- Melt preserves and chambord just till soft and mix thoroughly.
- Pierce wholes throughout cake with a fork and spread chambord mixture over cake. Chill in refrigerator.
- Chocolate glaze:.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave just till melted and mix to blend.
- Spread a thin layer on over the chilled raspberry glaze, chill.
- Roll the fondant into a circle and place where the neck would be.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, shortening & liqueur on medium speed until light & creamy (2 min or so). On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners sugar, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove some to pipe stars over the section as shown in picture. To the rest of the frosting add the raspberry preserves and chambord.
- Mix in food coloring of choice into the frosting. Add a light pink food coloring to all and set aside a 1/3. add a brighter pink to the remaining frosting and remove 1/2 set aside, and with the last add a vibrant pink or just more drops of pink.
- With color you will least use. Using tip # 7 Along the outer top rim of cake where the ruffle will go pipe a row of icing so the ruffle will be supported.
- Using color of your choice. Using tip # 125 or 127 start at the base a ruffle around the side of cake making row, around and overlapping slightly an other row, ending with a top ruffle which is piped over the row of icing and coming over the cake edges.
- Trim the border of the ruffle where it meets the piped stars, and trim between piped stars and fondant, and along the bottom of cake where sides meet the cake dish with color of choice. Using the same color make the bow. With fat side of tip #104 down at cake holding the bag sideways.
- Decorate cake with things of your choice (flowers, bottle, ducks, teddy bears, clowns) Dot the bow with frosting using tip # 2.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.