Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
This recipe for a Clay Cooker was given to me by my friend Beauchamp more than 20 years ago. It is a great Winter time meal. The ingredients scared me for at least ten years, but when I did make it, it was a hit with the whole family. This is my favorite recipe to make in the clay cooker. I have used 2 tablespoons of red chili chutney for the pepper paste. I am revising the time and the order of ingredients to make the recipe easier to follow. I allow at least 3 hours to make this, as I am slow. I have a Zaar friend Cheri who has asked me about this recipe. I wish her and Scott the best! After numerous meals, we decided to have a dinner party around this recipe...
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper paste (conimex)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- 1 cup spinach (dry and chopped)
- 1 cup rice (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup smoked ham (small cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (lite)
- 2 slices gingerroot (fresh)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak clay cooker in water 10 minutes.
- Make stuffing of egg, scallions, spinach, rice, and ham.
- Rub chicken inside and out with hot pepper paste, and stuff bird.
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl, and pour over bird.
- Place the wet clay cooker in a cold oven and cook at 450 degrees for about 1 3/4 hours.