1 hr 5 mins
Copyright 2006, "Barefoot Contessa at Home" the name of Ina Garten's new cookbook. As always, like most of her recipes; this is easy and oh so delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for greasing pans or margarine, for greasing the pans
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
- all-purpose flour, for the pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup good-quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- chocolate frosting
- 1CHOCOLATE CAKE:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 3Grease with butter or margarine, two 8" round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then grease with butter or margarine the parchment paper and flour the pans.
- 4Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
- 5In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- 6With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- 7With the mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 9Cool in pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- 10Place one layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal.
- 11With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
- 12CHOCOLATE FROSTING:.
- 13Chop the chocolate and place in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- 14Stir until just melted and set aside until cooled at room temperature.
- 15In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter or margarine on medium-high speed until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 16Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue beating for 3 minutes.
- 17Turn the mixer to low, gradually add the confectioners" sugar, then beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary, until smooth and creamy.
- 18Dissolve the coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of the hottest tap water.
- 19On low speed, add the chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture and mix until blended.
- 20DO NOT WHIP !
- 21Spread immediately on the cooled cake.
- 22E N J O Y !
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beatty's Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 860.8
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.8 g
- Cholesterol 137.3 mg
- Sodium 716.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 70.3 g
- Protein 10.6 g