I have been making this recipe for years. I do not remember where it came from, but our family thought it was so delicious and healthy, we renamed it to "Beat Your Chest Pancakes". We thought that after we ate it we would all feel stronger and healthier. I bet your family will love it too!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (I like half honey half molasses) or 1⁄4 cup honey (I like half honey half molasses)
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup bran flakes
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix beaten eggs, oil, honey/molasses, and milk in another bowl.Pour wet into dry and mix well, adding more milk as needed to make pancake batter consistency.
- Preheat and oil a griddle and cook each pancake till done. Serve with syrup, honey or molasses.
Wasn't sure what bran flakes were so I used oat bran because I had it on hand. I did use 3/4c each of the unbleached and whole wheat flours. Very good pancakes especially with all that wheat germ and oat bran. Who knew?
These pancakes were surprisingly light. Very nice, subtle taste. I used a cup of buttermilk, and added 3/4 cup of regular 2% milk because the batter is thick. The recipe is most definately a keeper. It make quite a few pancakes too. and it was easy to make as well.