Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have tried other sponge cake recipes and they always flop for me. My mother use to make this when we were kids. She doubled the ingredients and made it in one of those large oven trays that often come with the oven. It never lasted long enough to come out of the tray! As a variation, you could add lemon or orange rind to the mix, or even granadilla seeds.
- 125 g margarine (soft not melted, I use Stork)
- 200 ml sugar
- 300 ml flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (level spoons)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Heat the oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- Grease 2 16cm tins.
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and beat slowly for 3 minutes.
- When well mixed pour into the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Ice with your favourite recipe and flavour.