Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Adopted! Fabulous short rib recipe from Ming Tsai
- 5 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 slices ginger
- 4 whole Thai chiles
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup sweet soy sauce (kechap manis)
- 1⁄2 cup dark soy sauce
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 -2 quart water, to cover
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- salt and black pepper
- canola oil, to cook
- Mix chile powder, coriander and cumin.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper and rub the spice mix all over.
- On a hot, oiled grill, grill the ribs until all sides are well browned.
- Meanwhile, in a medium stock pot, coat with oil and brown onions, carrots, garlic, ginger and chiles.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce by 50 percent.
- Add back the ribs, soy sauces, thyme and water to cover.
- Check for seasoning.
- The flavor of the liquid will be the ultimate flavor of the ribs.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until meat is tender and falling off of the bone.
- Remove ribs from liquid.
- Strain liquid, defat and reduce by 20 percent.
- Return ribs to sauce, keep hot and add scallions and cilantro.