Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adapted this recipe from one passed down in my family. It starts as a typical blender Bearnaise sauce, but it is chilled into a fantastic sandwich spread for roast beef and egg sandwiches. The sauce will last one week in the fridge.
- In a small sauce pan combine tarragon, onion, pepper, salt, vinegar and white wine.
- Cook over medium heat until all of the liquid has evaporated (the more liquid that evaporates, the thicker your sauce will be).
- While the sauce is cooking, put the egg yolks, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in the jar of a blender; blend for thirty seconds.
- When the liquid has evaporated add the butter.
- Once the butter has completely melted and come to a boil, remove from the heat.
- Turn the blender on low and very slowly add the butter mixture to the egg mixture.
- If the butter seems to be separating or coming to the top of the blender mix; stop the blender and stir with a spoon.
- Once all of the butter mix has been added to the blender and the mixture is well blended, pour the sauce into a small container and refrigerate.
- When it is cold you can spread it on anything you want.