Recipe by CindiJ
Kansas City was and still is considered a "Cow Town". We are blessed to call The Hereford House our hometown restaurant. Celebrating 50 years they finally shared their recipes in the local paper. If you can't make it to KC at least you can eat like you're here. Make this for Steak Oscar!
- 1⁄2 cup egg yolk
- 2 cups clarified butter
- 1⁄8 cup tarragon leaf
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Bearnaise Reduction (use 1/8 cup in the recipe above)
- 1⁄3 cup white tarragon vinegar (plus 2 more tablespoons if you are using fresh tarragon)
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 4 crushed peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chervil or 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- First prepare the bearnaise reduction:.
- Combine in a small heavy saucepan vinegar, wine, peppercorns, shallots, chevril or parsley, and tarragon with liquid or the extra tarragon vinegar. (Reserve the leaves from half of the stalks and put aside.) Cook over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup or less. Strain through very fine sieve or cloth. Very finely chop and add remaining chevril or parsley and remaining tarragon.
- In a clean, stainless steel bowl add the egg yolks and bearnaise reduction. Whip together over a low flame, whipping constantly. Once eggs are cooked and fluffy, remove from heat. Slowly drizzle in the clarified butter, constantly whipping to incorporate the butter. Once all the butter is added, add the tarragon, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and tabasco sauce. Once all the items are added whip together to mix well.