This classy French sauce is typically served over beef tenderloin filets. It is also a perfect pair with fish or served over vegetables. I found this in Cuisine At Home.
- Bring vinegar, wine, shallots and tarragon to a boil in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
- Boil until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add water, then whisk in egg yolks until frothy.
- Drizzle in butter, whisking constantly to incorporate.
- Sauce should be thick, but thin it with a little water if needed.
- If it is too thin, return to heat and whisk constantly until thickened.
- Strain sauce through a medium mesh strainer into a heat proof cup.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, white pepper and cayenne.