Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I like to serve with mash potatoes and your favorite vegetables.
- 3 -4 lbs bear roast or 3 -4 lbs rump roast, thin fat to 1/2 inch
- 1 1⁄2 cloves, garlics
- salt and pepper
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery & leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 500*F. Cut deep slits in top of roast and insert garlic slices. Salt and pepper the meat well. Lay a few fat slices under the roast, put it in preheated oven, and roast 20 minutes or so until the fat browns.
- Turn the heat down to 300-325*F. and roast about 2 1/2 hours. When done, remove roast and the fat cracklings to a hot pan or platter.
- Retain 2-3 tablespoons of fat in the roasting pan with the drippings and in it saute the finely chopped onions and celery. Stir in the flour and herbs. Stir on a low flame until thickens, stir in the herbs. Add Worcestershire sauce.
I made your recipe with a bear roast. It was simple to prepare. The smell from the roast when it was cooking was wonderful. After removing the roast from the pan, I made the gravy following the recipe as described, it was also very easy. It was my frist time cooking bear and it was easy with this recipe.This recipe was fast to prep and fun to do! The bear came out great - be sure to take the garlic cloves out of you beef after you slice it and before you serve it! The gravey was excellent. I will be useing this recipe again. It was our frist time cooking bear and we invited friends over.They said I did a great job .Thank you old so much for your recipe. Thank you for posting it!! This is an excellent recipe, loved by our whole family. You have several recipes that are different from a lot of things on food.com. Again..Thank you for taking the time to share them!