Recipe by Aroostook
This uses a traditional sweet dough with dried fruit and nuts. This recipe can be adapted to use both canned apple and canned blueberry pie fillings.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 1⁄2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (for brushing on the dough)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts, divided
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- 1 egg yolk, combined with 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweet Dough: Scald milk.
- Stir in sugar, salt, and butter.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Measure warm water into large bowl and sprinkle on the yeast.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, eggs and half of the flour-- beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead 8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down.
- Prep: Divide dough in half.
- Roll out half of dough on floured board into a 9-by-18-inch rectangle.
- Brush with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Combine dates, raisins and lemon rind with 1/2 cup of the nuts and 3 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Sprinkle half of this filling over the dough.
- Fold outside third of dough over center.
- Fold again to make a 3-layer strip 18 inches long.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Cut and divide into 9 2-inch sections.
- Make four 1/4-inch cuts in one side of each section.
- Place on greased baking sheets and shape into bear claws by separating the four cut sections.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Combine egg yolk and water.
- Brush rolls and sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts and remaining sugar.
- Let rise, uncovered, until doubled in bulk, about one hour.
- ]Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.