From the American Dry Bean Board
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into halves (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, seeded, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged garbanzo or red beans) or 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed, drained, coarsely mashed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged garbanzo or red beans)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1Hollow out zucchini with sharp knife, leaving 1/4-inch shells; reserve shells. Chop the zucchini that was removed.
- 2Sauté chopped zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and garlic in oil in large skillet until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- 3Add tomato and basil and sauté until tomato is wilted and mixture is fairly dry, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add beans to side of skillet; coarsely mash about half the beans. Mix beans and 2 tablespoons cheese into zucchini mixture.
- 5Spoon mixture into reserved zucchini shells; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- 6Grill, covered, over medium-hot coals until zucchini shells are crisp-tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beany Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.2
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 449.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 12.6 g