Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the American Dry Bean Board
Make and share this Beany Zucchini recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into halves (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged garbanzo or red beans) or 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed, drained, coarsely mashed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged garbanzo or red beans)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Hollow out zucchini with sharp knife, leaving 1/4-inch shells; reserve shells. Chop the zucchini that was removed.
- Sauté chopped zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and garlic in oil in large skillet until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomato and basil and sauté until tomato is wilted and mixture is fairly dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans to side of skillet; coarsely mash about half the beans. Mix beans and 2 tablespoons cheese into zucchini mixture.
- Spoon mixture into reserved zucchini shells; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Grill, covered, over medium-hot coals until zucchini shells are crisp-tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 10 to 15 minutes.
FANTASTIC!! I did modify this quite a bit though - I am a vegan so I mixed nutritional yeast in with the mashed beans and I omitted the red pepper. SO good!!!
This was FANTASTIC, Only change I made was using canellini beans in place of garbanzos. So fresh and tasty. I had to add a little salt and pepper for flavor.
I made some minor changes, I didn't have a tomato so instead I used some pasta sauce...used chedder instead of parm. It was easy and DELICIOUS!