Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This Libyan dish has been posted in response to a Round the World game. Looks tasty and a candidate for the crockpot as well. This could readily be made vegetarian by substituting dried bean curd or tempeh for the meat.
- 2 bunch fresh spinach (use only the green)
- olive oil
- white beans (one palm full per person)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 green onions (use only the green part)
- 1 head garlic
- 0.5 ml turmeric
- black pepper
- meat (1/4 lb. per person)
- water (just enough to cover all ingredients)
- Wash spinach thoroughly, drain.
- Saute in hot oil.
- Let cool, grind it in the processor.
- Add the following ingredients: Cilantro, washed, drained and chopped.
- Green onions, cleaned and chopped.
- Garlic, peeled.
- Black pepper.
- Beans, washed and drained.
- Water to cover all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer about two hours depending on the size of the beans.
Hearty and delicious, as well as packed with vitamins! :) This was easy to make, and the flavor is fabulous...the cilantro really makes the dish. I accidentally added too much salt, so I remedied by serving over unsalted steamed rice, which was really good, actually! :) I used canned beans instead of raw (400g/16oz), but still let it cook the full two hours. I really liked this one, Donna! Thanks! :)