Recipe by Missy Wombat
This Libyan dish has been posted in response to a Round the World game. Looks tasty and a candidate for the crockpot as well. This could readily be made vegetarian by substituting dried bean curd or tempeh for the meat.
Top Review by canarygirl
Hearty and delicious, as well as packed with vitamins! :) This was easy to make, and the flavor is fabulous...the cilantro really makes the dish. I accidentally added too much salt, so I remedied by serving over unsalted steamed rice, which was really good, actually! :) I used canned beans instead of raw (400g/16oz), but still let it cook the full two hours. I really liked this one, Donna! Thanks! :)
- 2 bunches fresh spinach (use only the green)
- olive oil
- white beans (one palm full per person)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 green onions (use only the green part)
- 1 head garlic
- 2 dashes turmeric
- black pepper
- meat (1/4 lb. per person)
- water (just enough to cover all ingredients)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach thoroughly, drain.
- Saute in hot oil.
- Let cool, grind it in the processor.
- Add the following ingredients: Cilantro, washed, drained and chopped.
- Green onions, cleaned and chopped.
- Garlic, peeled.
- Black pepper.
- Beans, washed and drained.
- Water to cover all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer about two hours depending on the size of the beans.