Recipe by Theresa P
This is a recipe from Ball Blue Book. A canning book I use a lot! Prep time is for soaking beans!
Top Review by imdrabbit
These were very good and exactly what I was looking for. I was looking for a recipe that would taste similar to canned pork and beans. Being a vegetarian, I left out the pork. It is near impossible to find canned beans in tomato sauce without pork. These were delicious and a recipe I will use often. Thanks, TheresaP.
- 1 quart dried navy beans (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cut into pieces
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans with cold water and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place.
- Drain and cover with boiling water; boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes;drain.
- Combine tomato juice, sugar, salt, onion and spices; heat to boiling.
- Pack 1 cup of beans into hot jar and put in a piece of salt pork and then fill jar about 3/4 full with beans.
- Pour hot tomato sauce to within 1 inch from top of jar.
- Adjust caps.
- Process pints 1 hour and 5 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.