Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this in a crock pot cookbook, and although it was similar to some recipes already on here, I wanted to post it so I would remember to try it. The recipe says you can substitute any type of canned beans, just use two types. Suggestions for white are great northern, butter beans, or cannellini. For red, you could try small red or kidney beans. Fresh or fully cooked sausage can be used.
- 1 lb sausage
- 1⁄4 cup water (if using fresh sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small bell peppers, any color, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- In an ungreased skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage. If using fully cooked or smoked sausage, slice and set aside. If using fresh sausage, add the water, cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes until completely cooked through. Uncover and cook a few minutes more. Cool and slice.
- In a clean skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the peppers, onion and garlic, stirring just until tender.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Near the end of the cooking time, check the consistency and cook with the lid off to thicken if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Pretty good meal!