Prep 7 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Iyer Kitchen by Arun Ganapathy. Tastes like food from my relatives' kitchens in South India. Yum! The key to this recipe is to chop the green beans small enough. Goes well with rice and yogurt, rice and rasam, or with chappatis. You can substitute whole wheat tortillas for chappatis, if you can't find the real thing.
- 1 lb green beans, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ural dal aka black gram
- 1 dried red chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut
- In a wok, heat the oil. When hot, add mustards seeds and cook until they pop.
- Add urad dal and cook until it turns golden.
- Add whole chili, beans and salt. Saute until the beans are done, adding a little water to cook it faster.
- Add coconut and stir well.