Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great soup.
- 12 ounces mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- grated pecorino romano cheese
- Crumble the sausage into a large cold pot. Cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon, set aside. Pour off and discard any drippings. Add the garlic and sage.
- Cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the beans, broth and water. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Scrape up the browned bits at the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer about half of the beans and enough broth to cover, to a blender or food processor. Purée and return to the pot. Add the macaroni and the reserved sausage.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Stir in the spinach, vinegar, salt and the pepper. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano at the table.