Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Whether it be summer or winter this is a delicious meal that is sure to please.
Make and share this Beans, Greens and Sausage (Crock-Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 bunches greens (collards, kale, mustard or turnip)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 -3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup polenta
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- Tear the greens into large pieces, wash under running water to clean well, drain.
- Preheat a heavy skillet with olive oil, add onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onions begin to lightly brown, add minced jalapeno peppers.
- Place the cooked onions in the bottom of the crock-pot, add the drained greens, crushed red pepper and water.
- In the same skillet used for the onion, lightly brown the sliced sausage and place on top of the greens.
- Cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in drained beans and continue to cook for addition 1 to 2 hours or until greens are tender.
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine the polenta and cold water with wire whisk. Stir in boiling water and salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the polenta between serving bowls, spoon the cooked greens and sausage over and drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.
This is delicious and very easy to prepare. The only ingredient I substituted was the polenta. My grocery store did not have any shelf-stable polenta. I used rigatoni pasta instead. I love recipes that use collard greens and the jalapenios are a nice kick. Thanks for sharing Paula G