5 hrs 15 mins
Whether it be summer or winter this is a delicious meal that is sure to please.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bunches greens (collards, kale, mustard or turnip)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 -3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- 1Tear the greens into large pieces, wash under running water to clean well, drain.
- 2Preheat a heavy skillet with olive oil, add onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onions begin to lightly brown, add minced jalapeno peppers.
- 3Place the cooked onions in the bottom of the crock-pot, add the drained greens, crushed red pepper and water.
- 4In the same skillet used for the onion, lightly brown the sliced sausage and place on top of the greens.
- 5Cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in drained beans and continue to cook for addition 1 to 2 hours or until greens are tender.
- 6In 2-quart saucepan, combine the polenta and cold water with wire whisk. Stir in boiling water and salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Divide the polenta between serving bowls, spoon the cooked greens and sausage over and drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beans, Greens and Sausage (Crock-Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.4
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Sodium 960.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: