Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a hearty, rustic dish, which you can vary according to the ingredients you have on hand. It's an adaptation of a recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, to which I've added penne, but you could use your favorite chunky pasta. This dish is also one of the few in which I prefer whole-wheat pasta. Any white beans will do, such as great northern, cannellini, navy, or butter beans. Strongly flavored greens, such as escarole, endive, collard greens, etc., contrast nicely with the creamy blandness of the beans, the sourness of the lemon, and the spark of the pepper.
- If you need to, cook the pasta until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, sweat the garlic in the olive oil until it just starts to turn golden.
- Add the red pepper and the chopped greens, and cook until the greens are wilted and bright green.
- Add the beans and lemon juice and heat through, and remove from heat.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with grated parmesean. (Omit this for a vegan preparation, of course.).