Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from the CIA at Greystone.
Make and share this Beans Bourguignon Greystone Style recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 ounces smoked tempeh (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups kidney beans, cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and flour with a fork, mixing until the two are incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the tempeh, if using, and saute for about five minutes. Add the shallots, carrots, and garlic, and cook until the shallots are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they start to become tender, about 4-5 minutes more.
- Stir in the thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, tomatoes, broth, and half of the wine. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add the rest of the wine, beans, salt, and pepper. Continue to simmer until good flavor develops, about 10-15 minutes more. Remove and discard the herbs and bay leaf.
- Add the butter and flour mixture to the pan and allow the liquid to thicken. Remove from heat and serve.