1/1 Photo of Beans Bourguignon
1 hr 20 mins
In '1,000 Vegan Recipes' by Robin Robertson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups cooked dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (two 15.5 oz. cans)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a small bowl, combine the margarine and flour; knead until incorporated; refrigerate until needed.
- 2In a big saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 3Add in shallots, carrots, and garlic; cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add in mushrooms and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the thyme, bay leaf, tomatoes, broth, and 1/2 cup of the wine; bring to a boil, then decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 30 minutes.
- 6Add in the remaining wine, beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Return to a boil, then decrease heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- 8While the stew is simmering, pinch off pieces of the beurre manie (margarine/flour mixture) and add it to the stew, stirring after each addition to thicken.
- 9Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beans Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.4
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 52.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 15.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: