Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
In '1,000 Vegan Recipes' by Robin Robertson
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups cooked dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (two 15.5 oz. cans)
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the margarine and flour; knead until incorporated; refrigerate until needed.
- In a big saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in shallots, carrots, and garlic; cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, bay leaf, tomatoes, broth, and 1/2 cup of the wine; bring to a boil, then decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Add in the remaining wine, beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to a boil, then decrease heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- While the stew is simmering, pinch off pieces of the beurre manie (margarine/flour mixture) and add it to the stew, stirring after each addition to thicken.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving; serve immediately.
Outstanding recipe and so easy to make! DH and I loved it! We thought it was really flavorful! I happened to have Earth Balance vegan margarine in the fridge so I am happy to report we made no changes to the recipe (and we felt none were needed). We did have a bit of difficulty determining if this was to be served over something. We used to serve beef bourguignon (before I went meatless) over egg noodles. This would probably work fine, but as it was I was out of them and thought that the noodles that I did use were too thick and detracted from the stew. I have leftovers, so I might just try serving with crusty bread, and even over mashed potatoes might be nice. This is going into my keeper file as I will definitely be having it again. Thanks! Made for Sun and Spice 2013
This is so delicious! I highly recommend this. I love the butter and flour technique, I've never tried that before. Thank you so much for posting, I can't wait to make it again.