Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
No self-respecting refrigerator should ever be without a supply of chef Diana Neal's Refried Beans (Recipezaar recipe ID # 10614). My refrigerator is no exception to that rule, and periodically I try to create different dishes that put them to best use. I came across a 14th century Medieval English recipe that was tough to decipher, but I gave it my best shot, made a couple of modern modifications, and the results are, in my humble opinion, delicious, albeit a little different.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 8 tablespoons olive oil or 8 tablespoons garlic oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 12 ounces refried beans (see description, above, for recommendation)
- Fry the onion in the oil with the garlic, spices and seasoning.
- Stir in the beans and mix thoroughly.
- Reheat and serve.