Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hearty and delicious. Looks like a lot more work than it is.
Make and share this Beans & Barley Restaurant's Three-Cheese Enchilada Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup finely diced onion (about 1 small onion)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 8 -10 corn tortillas or 8 -10 flour tortillas
- 2 diced fresh tomatoes, plus
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced seeded tomatoes (divided)
- 1 bunch sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces grated queso blanco
- 6 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large avocado (firm yet pliable to the touch)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeno
- 1 pinch minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (I omit this ingredient)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Directions for Enchilada Sauce:.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until onions are translucent but do not let garlic burn. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Directions for Enchiladas:.
- Prepare enchilada sauce.Cover bottom of 13X9 inch baking dish or 12-inch round baking dish with 1 cup of sauce.
- Add about half of tortillas, overlapping slightly to completely cover pan.
- Combine cheeses in medium bowl.
- Remove about 1 1/2 cups of mixed cheeses; sprinkle over tortillas.
- Add about half of sliced green onions; half of 2 fresh diced tomatoes and half of olives.
- Top with remaining tortillas and remaining sauce.
- Bake casserole, covered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Immediately add remaining cheese and vegetables.
- Bake uncovered another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make guacamole.
- Mash avocado until smooth. Add lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining 1/4 cup diced tomato and cilantro.
- Remove casserole from over; let set about 10 minutes. Serve garnished with sour cream and guacamole.
This is perfect! I used two 14 oz. cans of Rotel tomatoes that I pureed because I don't relish canned tomato chunks. Because they were the hot variety, I omitted the pepper flakes and jalapeno. Used corn tortillas. We loved this so much and I will be making it again very soon. (Oh, I added even more cilantro...) Thanks, LondonKarma!