Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a delicious casserole. I got it from ecookbooks online, the casserole book. I made this last night for supper and my husband and I really enjoyed it. We had the leftovers for lunch today and believe it or not, it was even more delicious! I just have to share the recipe with you!
Top Review by Swan Valley Tammi
This should so totally be called "Redneck Corndog Casserole!" Hubby wasn't home when I made it, but the girls loved it and I enjoyed it, too. I like the suggestion of adding a bit of cheddar to the cornbread and I'll probably increase the green onion some and possibly omit the sugar and molasses next time. It was a little too sweet for my liking. But there will definitely be a next time! I used a regular 450 g package of 12 wieners and found 4 servings turned into more like 6-8.
- 1 (12 ounce) package all beef wieners
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans
- 1⁄8 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 green onion, including part of the green,chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Brown weiners in a skillet.
- Cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces.
- Mix beans, catsup, mustard, sugar, molasses and pepper sauce in a 9 inch square baking dish.
- Stir in weiners (This much can be fixed ahead and refrigerated if you wish) Saute green onion in oil until soft.
- Set aside.
- Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in green onion with oil.
- Mix egg and milk together, then stir into flour mixture until smooth.
- Spoon over casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.