Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is especially good when the weather turns cool. Very good.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb cooked Polish sausage, cut in 1 inch slices
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Put beans in pot, add water to cover plus 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 1 hour.
- Drain and discard liquid.
- Return beans to pot.
- Saute bacon until crisp; add onion,saute 1 minute.
- Add to beans.
- Add the water, garlic, salt, marjoram, bay leaf, and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350* for 3 hours.
- Stir in sausage and tomato sauce.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes.
Now you can't get a better than this dish. Beans, bacon and sausage! Wonderful. All of the flavors work well together. The beans and meat make this a hearty, filling dish. Excellent, Nez! This one is in my T&T book for many repeats! Thanks for posting it for me!
Quite tasty! I doubled the recipe, and used 1.5 lbs of polish sausage. I did use a little bit more bacon to make up for the flavor loss. Had to sub thyme for the marjoram, it would have been even better with the marjoram. My youngest didn't love this dish, but everyone ate it. Very filling, and warm on this chilly day.