Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs 15 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens "Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes." (2002)
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 -4 chopped jalapenos
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- cilantro (optional)
- sliced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- Combine beans, onion, water, jalapenos, garlic, bay leaves, cumin, salt and pepper in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Stir in instant rice; cover and cook 15 more minutes.
- Garnish soup with cilantro, additional jalapenos and lemon wedges, if desired.
I left out the jalapeno and lemon. This was great to come home to on a chilly evening.