Recipe by pink cook
This is a good, quick and easy casserole to make when company is coming. Everybody likes it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 3 drops red pepper sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350ºF. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers; simmer, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Add rice, beans, tomatoes and water. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently. Transfer to a 2-qt baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Note: you can add 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken or slices of sausage, if you like.