Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans or 1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, vinegar, hot sauce, and pepper; cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the hot rice and cilantro; mix well.