Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was in the newspaper and came from a restaurant here in Atlanta. It is so very tasty. It is a really hearty vegetarian dish that everyone will love.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 bunch kale or 1 bunch turnip greens, cut into 2 inch pieces and washed and dried
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and cook stirring constantly, until garlic just begins to brown.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt& pepper, herbs de provence, and great northern and black beans.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Add greens and cook until tender, another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- I like it with black beans because I don't really like kidney beans, but if you like kidney beans that is what the original recipe called for.
My partner and I enjoyed this hearty dish very much!! Like another reviewer, this was my first time with kale too. It's a very tough green, but cooked down quite well in the 15 minutes recommended. Served this with some whole grain bread and an apple/pear salad for dessert. Make you wanna lick you elbows :-)
This is a really, really great recipe. It was my first try at Kale, and quite a success. I didn't have any rice, so I use Orzo pasta instead. Yum. Thank you!