Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
My Italian Aunt often made this when we went to visit. I was just given the recipe. It is so good and so easy to make. You can use any leafy green like spinach or turnip greens but romaine has a nice sweet flavour so it was always the first choice. This is more like a chili/stew style soup.
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans romano beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- Wash lettuce well and chop leaves in half.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil in medium size pot until slightly brown, slowly add chicken broth stirring well.
- Add one can of beans with juice and one can without, lettuce and salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes on med-low heat.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheese.
- Serve with fresh bread for dipping.
This has been a main stay in my Italian family for years. We use swiss chard instead of the lettuce and we add some hot Italian sausage and a little tomato sauce. We also use precooked potato cut in chunks when we don't have white beans.It is wonderful when spiced up with extra red pepper flakes. My grandmother always called it Minestra.
I have made this particular recipe for years. I am Italian, and my Mom made this. We all love it. I like it with spinach or swiss chard. DELICIOUS!!!
This gets major brownie points for being the only greens recipe my kids have ever eaten! It was great! I used Great Northern beans, & the romaine of the original recipe. One caveat - my kids tried to give this 4 stars because they said it had too much pepper, but I think the problem was mine. I forgot the salt & pepper until I had put the greens in the pot, so I think some pieces of lettuce wound up with whopping amounts of pepper stuck to them. Next time I will have to stir it in *before* I put the greens in. Oops! I also have to note that I used 2 c. water & a Knorr chicken bouillon cube.