great with brown rice, salsa, sour cream, and guacomole as a burrito filling or on nachos. I pefected this recipe while living in the south west and later in the keys, and have found it to be a low cost meal the everyone loves. It will keep up to a week in the fridge and can be frozen. Cooking the beans and corn together insures that the kids get the right balance of amino acids (bean+corn or rice=protein, bean without corn or rice=gas).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (12 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped and juices retained
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 2 small fresh jalapenos, with seeds, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of (a key lime or a lima works best)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1Heat the oil in a big pot. Add garlic, onion, and jalepeno. Stir until onion is soft and clear.
- 2Add the kidney beans and 1/2 the water, still stirring. Mash the beans up a little with a fork or a poato masher. Add the black beans and stir them inches If you want you can mash them up a little also. Keep stirring.
- 3Once this starts to simmer, and the corn, tomatoes, and the retained tomato juices.
- 4Add the rest of the water. If you are going to let this simmer for a long time while you clean up or make salsa, or if your tomatos weren't very juicy, you will need to add an extra cup of water. Add the cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste.
- 5Let this simmer until it is the consistancy you want. It will get better with longer simmering, as long as you stir occasionally and keep it a little bit wet. I recomend about a 1/2hr, but 5 min works fine too.
- 6Serve with brown rice, nachos, salsa, sour cream, guacomole -- yum.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beans and Corn for Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.4
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 218.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 15.3 g