Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Nepali dish is prepared with soaked black-eyed beans and fermented bamboo shoots curried in spices.
- 1 cup fermented bamboo shoot
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled,and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 cup black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- In a frying pan, heat three tablespoons of oil.
- Fry bamboo shoots until light brown; reserve on a plate.
- In a sauce pan heat oil, fry dried red chilies until dark.
- Add onions and sauté until light brown.
- Add curry powder, chili powder, ginger, garlic, whole mustard paste, salt and pepper.
- Fry for one minute over low heat.
- Add potatoes to the onion mixture and sauté for five minutes on medium heat.
- Sprinkle water if it starts to burn.
- Add soaked beans, sautéed bamboo shoots, tomatoes and broth to the potatoes mixture; stir well.
- Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15-20 min.
- over low heat until potatoes are fork-tender, and the gravy has attained its desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti (flat bread).