Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
After getting one too many freezer-burned veggie burgers at the store, I created my own!! They have a spicy kick to them. I Hope you like them!!
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo (use 2 peppers out of the can)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 1 cup whole wheat panko (I like Ian's brand panko bread crumbs at Whole Foods)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed and chopped fine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey, pref. raw-thick type
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Mash your black beans and pinto beans together in a large bowl with a potato masher or fork.
- Chop your adobo peppers (use kitchen prep gloves or wash your hands very well afterwards) then stir them and the green chiles into the beans.
- Mix in cheese, panko bread crumbs, and garlic.
- In a small bowl; beat your egg then beat in the honey, lemon juice, Lawry's, and pepper.
- Add the egg mixture to the bean mixture and blend well.
- Form mix into 6 patties and place them on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Set the oven to Low Broil with the rack in 2nd position from the top.
- Broil burgers for 10 minutes then flip them over and broil 10 more minutes.
This is a good vegetarian burger. I only used 1 chipotle pepper and no chilies. I used Mrs Dash and a full tsp. of honey. I did not have any panko on hand so a added 2 slices of whole grain bread. I mixed everything up in the food processor. I was not sure what a Low Broil was, so I cooked it at 425 F. It took about 5 extra minutes to firm up before I could flip it. These had a nice flavour and I really liked that I could cook them in the oven. Thanks for the recipe.