Top Review by Aunt Cookie
This was a very nice, healthful dish, and it was very easy to make. It was very good as-is, but next time I think I will experiment with some more spices (probably of the Italian variety) and I will add at least half of the parsley after the casserole is done cooking. By the way, I used regular barley (not the quick-cooking kind), and it worked just fine. Thanks for sharing this!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) packet frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2⁄3 cup parsley, Chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, Ground
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, Grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion, celery, and green pepper.
- Cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, lima beans, barley, parsley, salt, basil, and black pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a buttered 2-to 3 quart casserole with lid.
- Add boiling water.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.
- Good served with: Marinated, slightlt blanched mixed vegetables, hot French bread and butter.
- Tips: This dish can be assembled and baked later.
- Add the boiling water just before baking.
- Baking time should be increased by 15 minutes when starting refrigerated temperature.