Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a hearty vegetable stew. Adjust all seasonings to taste.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 3 -5 tablespoons oil
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped or use 1 poblano chile pepper)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (chopped and undrained)
- 2 small zucchini (chopped into about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (or milk)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; add in the onions, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper (or the chile pepper) chili powder, cumin and oregano, saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes with juice, zucchini, pinto beans with juice and black beans with juice; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes (or until the zucchini is tender) season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Cut in the shortening until crumbly.
- Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Add in half and half cream; stir JUST until moistened.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into the simmering mixture; cook 5 minutes, then cover with lid and continue to cook for 8-12 minutes more, or until the dumplings are done.
Amazing - I always love your recipes, kittencal! I cook for very large groups on a very small budget, so in lieu of the zucchini I just added several cans of corn. Also (I'm in Switzerland), since cheddar cheese is expensive, I subsituted Fontal cheese in the dumplings and added quite a bit more cayenne than it called for. It was a hit! Thanks so much for all of your great cooking ideas!