Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
There's just nothing like a pot of bean soup!This recipe has rice in it, and what a texture! I love grating some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top, it's just so creamy. I'm sure to enjoy this. This is great with a loaf of sourdough bread, or maybe even a pumpernickle or rye. Times are approximate.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup converted rice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 quarts fresh spinach or 8 quarts kale, coarsely chopped
- finely shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker combine broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, grlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Stir spinach into soup. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
I used tomato sauce instead of puree, brown rice instead of converted, canned spinach instead of fresh, dried beans instead of canned and added Rabideaux's pork sausage. It was GOOD!! I am no chef but I had to work with the recipe and what I had in my cabinets, for once it turned out pretty good!!!
This is pretty good but somewhat bland. Thanks for posting!