1 hr 30 mins
This is classified as a soup, but it is a hearty and filling enough dish to make a main meal. You wouldn't have much room for anything else other than dessert!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g haricot beans
- 100 g onions
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons oil
- 100 g smoked bacon
- 150 g smoked sausage
- 250 g sauerkraut
- 10 g caraway seeds
- 200 g fresh tomatoes
- 100 g potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 30 g sweet paprika
- 10 g dried savory
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 g salt
- 150 g sour cream
- 1Soak beans overnight. Drain, set to simmer in 1/2 litre water until soft.
- 2Heat oil or lard in a heavy pot with lid.
- 3Chop bacon into cubes and heat gently in the fat/oil.
- 4Chop onions fine and braise until translucent.
- 5Remove pot from heat, add paprika and stir. Add a little water and return to heat. Cook gently for a few minutes, stirring.
- 6Add the beans with the cooking water and stir.
- 7Add sliced sausage, peppercorns, bay leaves, salt, chopped garlic and savory. Top up with 1/2 litre water and bring to gentle boil.
- 8Add peeled and finely dice potato. Cover and set to simmer 15 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, rinse the sauerkraut thoroughly to remove acid and salt. Strain and squeeze, then braise in hot oil or lard. Add caraway seeds.
- 10Add the sauerkraut to the pot and stir well, simmer gently.
- 11Peel and chop the tomatoes, and stir into the broth.
- 12Heat through gently, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are liquefied. Check salt and serve with sour cream.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean Soup With Sausage and Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.3
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 1735.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 22.9 g