Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
A friend gave me a jar of bean soup mix as a gift. I enjoyed it very much and thought it was a great idea, so I asked for the recipe.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 1 lb red beans
- 1 lb dried soybeans
- 1 lb yellow split peas
- 1 lb split peas
- 1 lb black-eyed peas
- 1 lb dried lentils
- 1 lb dried lima beans
- 1 lb dried baby lima beans
- 1 lb pearl barley
TO MAKE SOUP (use 2 cups soup mix which is 1 package)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 lb ham hock
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- FOR MIX:.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pan or bowl.
- Measure out 2-cup gift packages and store in airtight containers.
- Include recipe for usage below.
- Yield: 20 packages (about 2 cups each)
- FOR SOUP: (about 6 servings).
- Wash the soup mix and place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and add the water, ham hock,carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 hour until the beans are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hock from the soup. Take the meat from the bone, chop the meat and return it to the soup. Heat through.