Recipe by Maryland Jim
This is a variation of bean soup that I developed when I was out of an ingredient! Now it's the only way I will make bean soup.
Top Review by SB6
Okay Jim, DH said this was the best soup he had EVER had. I make soup a ton so needless to say I wasn't thrilled with his assessment. But......it is delicious. Would not change one thing. Best thing is we had enough to freeze for another meal. Made for your 2011 Football win.
- 1 (20 ounce) bag dried beans (I normally use the 15 bean type)
- 1 ham bone (I like to use a bone that still has some meat attached)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans in 2 quarts of water overnight.
- Drain water and add 2 quart water and ham bone to beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 2 1/2 hours, uncovered.
- Add onions, tomatoes, Old Bay, and garlic.
- Simmer for additional half hour,.
- Salt and pepper to taste.