Recipe by Tish
A comfort soup at its best! Great in fall and winter
Top Review by eeriana
I Loved this! I just added some seasonings of my own and didn't puree any of it. I did mine in the crock pot, as well. Otherwise, the ingredients were the same and I thought this was great!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry great northern beans
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 ",pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 3 green onions
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 qt saucepan, combine the beans, garlic, bay leaf, allspice, broth and 5 1/2 cups water.
- Cook, partially covered, until beans are tender, about 50 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a blender puree 1 cup cooked beans with 1 cup cooking liquid, and return to pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together tomato paste and 1 Tbs water and stir into beans with sausage and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer soup, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Soup may be prepared up to this point 3 days ahead.
- While soup is simmering, peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Steam until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes, 3 chopped scallions, and salt and pepper to taste into soup.
- Serve soup garnished with scallion greens.